It’s been a busy week for Hipgnosis Songs Fund.
On Tuesday (September 8), the UK-based firm, based by CEO Merck Mercuriadis, introduced the appointment of revered music business execs Ted Cockle and Amy Thomson, and yesterday (September 10) we discovered that Hipgnosis has acquired Los Angeles-based Big Deal Music Group.
Topping off the week with one other acquisition, Hipgnosis has revealed that it has purchased the music catalog of Chrissie Hynde, founding member, lead vocalist and first music author of rock band The Pretenders.
Hipgnosis has acquired 100% of Chrissie Hynde’s music publishing catalog of 164 songs together with Publishing and Author’s Share (PRS) from the Pretenders and her different tasks.
With The Pretenders, Chrissie Hynde wrote a catalog of hit songs together with Brass in Pocket, Discuss of the City, Message of Love, Again on the Chain Gang, Center of the Street, 2000 Miles, Don’t Get Me Incorrect, ‘My Child and I’ll Stand By You.
Forming in 1978 The Pretenders’ self-titled debut album reached No.1 of the UK Albums Chart the week of its launch.
The album achieved success in each the UK, reaching No.1 for 4 consecutive weeks, and the US the place it’s licensed platinum.
The album included the only Brass in Pocket which was The Pretenders first UK No.1 single in 1980.
The Pretenders have in complete launched 11 albums together with, the simply launched, Hate For Sale.
“That is very private for me. Chrissie is one among my favourite songwriters of all time and The Pretenders are one among my favourite bands of all time.”
Merck Mercuriadis, Hipgnosis
After the success of their debut, an extra 4 of the albums are platinum or gold licensed together with Pretenders II, which reached the Prime 10 in each the UK and US albums chart; Studying to Crawl, which included the hit lead single 2000 Miles and Center Of The Street; Get Shut which included two US No.1 Mainstream Rock singles with Don’t Get Me Incorrect and My Child; and Final Of The Independents, which included the group’s most streamed single I’ll Stand By You.
For The Pretenders, Chrissie Hynde has written the next:
- Brass in Pocket which was the band’s first UK No.1 in 1980 and has been streamed over 200 million instances.
- Again on the Chain Gang, which has been streamed over 150 million instances and was The Pretender’s largest US hit reaching No.5 on the Billboard Sizzling 100 and No.four on Billboard’s Sizzling Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. The Music was coated by Morrissey in 2008 calling the music “a pop traditional, of the mind in addition to the loins”.
- Don’t Get Me Incorrect, which has been streamed over 150 million instances and was the group’s second Prime 10 hit on the Billboard Sizzling 100 in addition to reaching No.1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock charts. The music was additionally a UK Prime 10 hit within the singles chart.
- Their hit Christmas Music 2000 Miles, which has been streamed over 100 million instances.
- I’ll Stand by You, which reached the Prime 20 in a number of nations and has been streamed over 250 million instances. I’ll Stand By You re-entered the charts with Ladies Aloud in 2004, reaching No.1 within the UK, and with American nation singer Carrie Underwood, reaching No.6 of the Billboard Sizzling 100.
Chrissie Hynde continues to launch albums and tour globally with The Pretenders.
While their tour schedule for Could 2020 has been postponed attributable to COVID-19 sure dates have been rescheduled to September 2021.
Chrissie Hynde was represented by supervisor Ian Grenfell at Quietus Administration, lawyer Andrew Myers at Clintons and accountant Pat Savage at YMU.
Merck Mercuriadis, Founding father of Hipgnosis Songs Fund Restricted and The Household (Music) Restricted, mentioned: “That is very private for me.
“Chrissie is one among my favourite songwriters of all time and The Pretenders are one among my favourite bands of all time.
“Her significance can’t be over estimated and she or he has been a robust function mannequin for ladies and men all around the globe for 40 years.
Added Mercuriadis: “I’m proud to say I’ve been a vegetarian, now vegan for 35 years because of the affect of Chrissie and in consequence I’ve 4 grown youngsters which have by no means had meat go via them.
“That’s the ability of nice songs and music when mixed with real integrity.
“She has this highly effective impact on her viewers which is why they continue to be so devoted and dedicated after 40 years and why new generations of followers are consistently interested in her.
“I’m delighted to welcome her and her great songs to the Hipgnosis household.”Music Enterprise Worldwide