Traditional chocolate mousse makes any dinner really feel a bit extra fancy. It is nice for a cocktail party as a result of it appears so fairly, everybody will get their very own serving, and you may make it forward.
Pictures Credit score:
This Chocolate Mousse is thick, wealthy, creamy, and an ideal dessert for entertaining! Not solely is it fairly, everybody will get their very own serving, and you may make it a day forward of time.
I discovered this recipe years in the past within the Bouchon cookbook by famed chef Thomas Keller. It’s considerably of a “chef-y” recipe with melting chocolate over a double boiler, whipping egg whites, and whipped cream.
However if you happen to observe the information I define beneath, it’s best to have success with the recipe and a phenomenal, luscious chocolate mousse dessert!
Finest Chocolate for Chocolate Mousse
If you need a very chocolate-y chocolate mousse, use a bittersweet darkish chocolate, anyplace from 62% to 70% cocoa.
For this chocolate mousse I’m utilizing the darkest chocolate I might discover (Dealer Joe’s has some Belgian 70% cocoa 1 pound bricks).
If you will serve the mousse straight–with no added cream or fruit–and you like the style of barely candy darkish chocolate, your mousse can be good with the 70%.
In case you layer in fruit (raspberries complement the chocolate fairly effectively) and or extra whipped cream, you’ll need both so as to add sugar or use 62% bittersweet chocolate.
Suggestions for chocolate mousse success
Chocolate mousse generally is a little bit difficult! Listed below are some suggestions that will help you achieve success with this recipe:
- Gently soften chocolate: Soften chocolate over barely simmering water in a double boiler. You possibly can arrange a double boiler by inserting a steel bowl over a saucepan with barely simmering water (don’t let the bowl contact the water.) In case you don’t use a double boiler, the chocolate can break or separate.
- Cool chocolate till barely heat: When you’ve melted the chocolate with the butter and espresso, you’ll wish to cool it till it’s barely heat while you dab some in your decrease lip. That would be the proper temperature for including the egg yolks. Too heat and the eggs will cook dinner. Too cool and the chocolate will seize up while you add the opposite elements.
- Separate eggs when chilly, however whip at room temp: Eggs separate best when they’re proper out of the fridge. However egg whites will whip extra simply when they’re room temp. So separate the eggs first, after which allow them to sit at room temp for a number of minutes.
- Clear tools for whipping egg whites: Egg whites will refuse to whip correctly if there’s any residual fats within the bowl or bowl beaters you’re utilizing, or if there are any bits of egg yolk that made their means into the whites. So be sure to are utilizing very clear tools, and you’ve got picked out any bits of egg yolk that could be within the whites.
- Fold, don’t stir, egg whites and whipped cream: Gently fold egg whites and whipped cream into your chocolate mousse and your mousse can be fluffy.
A Observe About Uncooked Egg Whites
This basic chocolate mousse recipe makes use of uncooked egg whites and uncooked egg yolks. For most individuals this isn’t a problem, however individuals with compromised immune programs, pregnant ladies, very younger or previous individuals, ought to keep away from uncooked eggs because of the threat of salmonella. You should purchase pasteurized eggs on the retailer if you happen to really feel uncomfortable utilizing uncooked eggs on this recipe.
You may also do this recipe for Vegan Chocolate Pudding.
From the editors of Merely Recipes
The Finest Dishes for Chocolate Mousse
Mousse may be chilled and served in any individual-sized cup, tumbler, or ramekin. Even small canning jars or tea cups work!
A Make-Forward Dessert
Chocolate mousse is finest if chilled at the least eight hours or as much as 24 hours earlier than serving. This makes it the right make-ahead dessert!
How one can Serve Chocolate Mousse
Whereas chocolate mousse is simply high-quality all by itself, you may fancy it up by including a dollop of whipped cream to every dish earlier than serving. You may also layer the mousse with raspberries and whipped cream; if you happen to do that, serve it in glasses so you may see the gorgeous layers while you serve.
Extra Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Traditional Chocolate Mousse Recipe
This recipe makes use of uncooked eggs. In case you are involved about salmonella dangers, you should utilize pasteurized eggs.
Recipe tailored from Bouchon
- 1 cup chilly heavy whipping cream
- four half of ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon (1 ounce) unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso or very robust espresso (I used decaf espresso from an area Starbucks)
- three giant eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Raspberries and further whipped cream, optionally available to serve
1 Whip the cream: Whip the heavy whipping cream to smooth peaks, then chill.
2 Soften the chocolate: Put the chocolate, cubed butter, and espresso within the high of a double boiler over sizzling, steamy water (not simmering), stirring ceaselessly till clean.
Take away the chocolate combination from the warmth and let it cool till the chocolate is simply heat to the contact. Do not let the chocolate get instrument cool or the combination will seize when the opposite elements are added.
three Whip the egg whites: As soon as you’ve got taken the chocolate combination off the warmth and it has began to chill, whip the egg whites till they’re foamy and starting to carry a form. Sprinkle within the sugar and whip till the egg whites kind stiff peaks.
four Add egg yolks to chocolate: When the chocolate has cooled till it’s simply heat to the contact, stir within the egg yolks.
5 Add whipped cream and egg whites: Gently stir in about one-third of the whipped cream to skinny and loosen the chocolate combination. Then fold in half the egg whites. Fold within the remaining egg whites. Fold within the remaining whipped cream.
6 Spoon into serving dishes, chill: Spoon or pipe the mousse right into a serving dishes. If you want, layer in contemporary raspberries and whipped cream. Chill within the fridge for eight to 24 hours.
Hi there! All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. Thanks!
This submit might include hyperlinks to Amazon or different companions; your purchases through these hyperlinks can profit Merely Recipes.
Read more about our affiliate linking policy.